søndag den 19. juli 2009

Hunting my first pelagic fish on Als

Taking my sons for a holiday to my parents on Als, the island I grew up on, I was determined to shot my first pelagic fish on the island.

Tuesday 14. July: Havnbjerg Strand 18:00
Soon in the water, I found that visibility was very low. I spent the first hour trying to spot a trout but gave up and hunted flounders instead and took some pictures of marine invertebrates. Caught one 1 kg flounder.

Wednesday 15. July: Pøls Rev 22:00
Hooked up with a fellow spearfisher, mad_HC, who borrowed me a diving torch, so I could try night-hunting. We searched the coast near Pøls Rev. I spotted a flounder which I teased and a small cod. Again visibility was low. But still no large pelagic.

Thursday 16. July: Pier by Sønderborg marina 18:00
Discouraged by the seemingly low visibility around the island of Als, I browsed the coast of Als by means of google earth in hope to find a good spot. A pier by Sønderborg's marina looked tempting. In the water it soon became clear that the water was not! However I followed the pier and came across several small cod bringing my hopes up. At the end of the pier I got lucky! A group of trout swam by and I picked out a 41 cm trout. At last my luck had turned - I shot my first pelagic fish on Als! But, alas my wishbone broke after this shot and I had to turn back.

Here are some pictures from the hunts in chronological order. Didn't catch the trout kill on the camera, I'm afraid.