søndag den 13. september 2009

My first mullet this year!

Having not even come close to a thicklip grey mullet, Chelon labrosus this year, I dedicated a day out to try and get one.

It was a marvellous day with the sun sticking its head out once in a while and a calm offshore wind. First dive was at Grenå's pier. Here I spotted several trout and pollocks but no mullets. However, enjoyed the colourful algae and seaweed that covered the stones - magnificent green, brown and red colours!

About noon I went along the coast searching the shallow water where mullets come to grass algae. This time I came close to some mullets, but mullets are fast fish, and they eminently dodged the shots I took at them. Somewhat dissillusioned I headed back swimming quickly along the bottom through the seaweed. Coming out from the seaweed onto a bottom of sand, I met a mullet head-on much to its and my surprise. I had my speargun ready in front of me, and the puzzled mullet seemed to be considering which way to turn. It made a right turn and paff, I hit it right in the neck. At last my first mullet this year was down.

After this dive I was full of energy and took a swim along the pier. Here I met a group of pollocks at about 6 meters. They were quite curious eventhough I took some shots at them. However, our friendship ended when I shot one from the group. Who can blame them!